Gas plant at Okpai in Ndokwa East LGA of Delta State.
Marginal oil Field at Ebendo Obodeti in Ndokwa West LGA of Delta State.
Propane storage tank facility at Ebedei/Umutu in Ukwuani LGA of Delta State.
The colonial history of Ndokwa people began in 1905 with the formal establishment of colonial administrative office in Kwale. It was then known as Aboh Native Authority and later renamed Aboh Division in 1952 with headquarter in Kwale. In 1976, there was Local Government reforms and Aboh Division became Ndokwa Local Government with headquarters still in Kwale. The name Ndokwa was formed from two words; Ndoshimili and Ukwuani. They signify the two major districts of Aboh Division. Following the 1991 and 1997 Local Government creations embarked upon by the Military led Government, Ndokwa came under three Local Government Areas (LGAs) namely; Ndokwa East, Ndokwa West and Ukwuani with headquarters in Aboh, Kwale and Obiaruku respectively. The three LGAs speak Ukwuani language and are known and recognized as distinct ethnic nationalities since pre-colonial times.
In the last century, something incredible occurred in the annals of human history. The Juxtaposition of nations, cultures and peoples found an expression in the name: NIGERIA when Lord Lugard amalgamated its Northern and Southern Protectorates. Ndokwa people were a part of the nations in the Southern protectorate. Although it included the great Aboh Kingdom which, arguably, was the greatest naval force on the Niger Delta Coast for close to a century before the arrival of the Europeans, the people were subjected to British rule and would later be ruled as part of the Western region -one of the two regions carved out of the Southern protectorates. By 1963, Mid-west region was created to include Ndokwa Land and other Non-Yoruba speaking parts of western region. Ndokwa people remained as part of Mid-West region until Ndoni people were carved out from Aboh Division to join parts of the old Eastern region to form Rivers State in May of 1967 as part of a new 12 State Federal Structure. The rest of Ndokwa Land remained in the Mid-west which was now renamed Bendel State, fusing the first three letters from the Benin Province with the first three letters of Delta Province. Ndokwa remained as part of the Mid-west Bendel configuration for 28 years until the creation of Delta State in 1991. We are, today, Nigerian Citizens, proud of our heritage and patriotic to the core. Our sons have served the Nigerian Nation in all of its Armed Forces. Our scholars occupy the Ivory Towers in not only the Nigerian Universities but in several institutions around the globe. We are fishermen, traders, housewives, hunters, farmers, artisans, artists and in every facet of Nigerian life.
Ndokwa Land consists of three Local Government Areas: (Ndokwa East, Ndokwa West, and Ukwuani). It is in the Southeastern region of Delta State situated in the South southern part of Nigeria and lies between latitudes 50 481 N and 50 601 N and longitudes 60 081 E and 60 321 E. It has common boundaries in the North with Ika South and Aniocha South Local Government Areas. Isoko South and Isoko North bound it in the south while it also has a common boundary with Ughelli North and Ethiope East Local Government Areas and Edo State as well as River Niger in the west and east, respectively. The important rivers in the region are Niger, Ethiope, Adofi, and Umu while the Ase creek is the major creek.